(for dress rehearsal)
Clara is presented one last dance by the International Court, and is sent off in the sleigh.
101 McCray Street, Suite 104 Hollister CA 95023 USA
Copyright © San Benito Dance Academy | All Rights Reserved
are still available for purchase at the studio: choose from AD/BC casts,
with behind-the-scenes B-roll included!
This year will mark our 10th Nutcracker show. It has been a great enrichment to our holiday season. We have a cast from ages three to adult. We have been told that the experience is unforgettable! We have four shows (two each day), to be performed the weekend before Christmas, at Sherwood Hall in Salinas.
The Nutcracker auditions are fairly simple... Read this year's details here.
Please bring an 8 x 10 head-shot (doesn't have to be professional, just a good shot from shoulders-up). Fill out an audition form and list some parts that you would like, and please note any scheduling conflicts for the Nutcracker season ahead! This will help us to better schedule rehearsals. There are parts that have a ballet-level requirement. Click HERE to view the roles list and necessary qualifications that casting is based on. For instance, the Clara audition must at least be a Ballet VI level. We invite students in level Ballet V and up to come and try it out, so that they will understand the audition process. Any ballet leads will be auditioned in the Ballet VI / VII level. Gymnastic or other non-ballet country leads will be auditioned on Friday. (Schedule on audition flyer at right.)
CASTING: anticipate an announcement within 1-2 weeks. The cast list will be emailed, announced on Facebook, and posted at the studio.
FEES: Consult this document to know how much is charged, based on each part. There is a $30 Participation Fee (per family) that will be waived upon completion of any given volunteer duties (sign up at the studio).
The Nutcracker turns into a Prince and whisks Clara off in a sleigh, on a journey to the Land of Snow, an enchanted forest wonderland where they are welcomed by dancing snowflakes.
It is Christmas Eve at the Stahlbaum house- - A large and grand house with the most beautiful tree imaginable. The Stahlbaums are hosting their annual Christmas party, welcoming the arrival of their family and friends. The children, Clara and Fritz, are dancing and playing as they welcome their friends too.
The party grows festive with music and dance as godfather Drosselmeyer arrives. He is an amazing toy-maker and always full of magical surprises. Drosselmeyer draws everyone's attention as he presents life-sized dolls. They are the delight of the party, each taking a turn to dance.
The children begin to open gifts when Drosselmeyer presents to his Clara, a beautiful Nutcracker that becomes the hit of the party. Although his gift to Fritz is quite nice, he gives Clara the beautiful Nutcracker. Fritz becomes jealous and having a bit more spunk than a boy should have, grabs the nutcracker from Clara and promptly breaks it. Clara is heartbroken looking on as Drosselmeyer quickly repairs the Nutcracker with a handkerchief he magically draws from the air.
As the evening grows late, the guest depart and the Stahlbaum family retires for the evening. Clara, worried about her beloved Nutcracker, sneaks back to the tree to check on him, falling asleep with him in her arms.
As the clock strikes midnight strange things begin to happen. Clara begins shrinking as her beautiful Christmas tree grows high above her. The toys around the tree come to life while the room fills with an army of mice, lead by the fierce Mouse Queen. The Nutcracker leads his army of toy soldiers into battle with the mice. The Mouse Queen has an epic fight with the Nutcracker one-on-one. The Nutcracker seems to be no match for the Mouse Queen. The Nutcracker and his army can go on no longer and are captured by the mice and their Queen. Clara makes a final daring charge throwing her slipper at the Mouse Queen. The Nutcracker rises and stabs the Mouse Queen. She drops to the floor and the mice run away, carrying off their leader's lifeless body. The Nutcracker gives Clara her shoe back, and soothes her fears, as he dances her worries away, guiding her into a new world.
Audition Weekend Follow Up:
We could not do this without our faithful SBDA Family of volunteers, instructors, helpers, and parents.
We've had 10 Nutcracker Seasons, and have learned some things along the way... it's hard to put a show together if people don't follow instructions, know where/when to be present, or chip in to assist...
In attempts to help you keep organized and informed (and therefore in turn help us keep things running as they should!), we would like to highlight these main methods to get information, mark dates on your calendar, and to be prepared, on time, and ready for all rehearsals.
1. Email: CHECK IT OFTEN AND READ THEM THOROUGHLY!
We send all-cast emails through our GoDaddy email marketing campaigns, so they may be marked as "Promotions" and automatically filtered to a separate folder, without your knowledge!
2. Jackrabbit (online database, registration form): If you have yet to register on Jackrabbit, you cannot be in the show. This is easy to complete; we need your dancer's and family's contact info. Register with this form.We will be sending emails to specific groups regarding rehearsals, and if you're not in the program's database, you won't be notified. This is also for billing purposes, to keep track of cast fees and payments received, etc. Bookmark the portal to access your family's account and view vital info, receive communication, and view your billing/account details.
3. Nutcracker Info Center at studio: bulletin board, table with Nutcracker business: order forms, scheduling, sweatshirt cast-name approval (check spelling), volunteer info, and more!
4. Website: You're here! As you can see, this page has news, rehearsal scheduling for upcoming weekends, and links to all the info you need access to during the season!
5. Facebook: We have a special page just for the SBDA Nutcracker! See photos, scheduling updates, attend / invite friends/family to the performance event, and more!
7. Text Reminders via Remind App: if you already have the app, please make sure you're actively receiving notifications. If you don't have the app, the messages will arrive to your phone via text message. These messages are sent the day before rehearsals every weekend by our Volunteer Coordinator, Kimberly Royston. If you have any questions, please (re-)read all previous communication, then direct your question to her. She is a veteran Nutcracker Mom! (... she's been with us since Season 1, in 2008!) She will direct you accordingly.
If you experience issues with any of these forms of communication, please inform us immediately by emailing: email@example.com.
Volunteer Opportunities: Sign Ups are at the studio.
Then Clara is escorted to the Land of Sweets where she is greeted by dancing candies. The Prince and Clara are received by an International Court, where they tell of their daring battle with the army of mice, and are rewarded with a celebration of fantastic international dances:
Updated 11/6/17, 9:05am
sometime during week:
(coordinate w/ Choreographer Ms. Emma)
THURSDAY, NOV. 16:
2:00-3:00 Dancing Doll
3:00-3:30 Mouse Queen
FRIDAY, NOV. 17:
Studio B 5:00-5:30
Arabian Sheba Side Girls & Zahrah
Studio A 5:15-6:00
Mother Ginger Cookies & Helpers
Studio C 6:00-6:30
Studio A 6:00-7:00 Party Scene:
1. Sword Fight: Party Boy (Sam H.) & Assistant/Prince
2. Review Drosselmeyer’s gifts: Prince, Maids, Drosselmeyer
3. Opening Scene: Clara, Fritz, Mother, Father, Grandma, Grandpa, Head Maid, Maids
Studio C 6:30-7:30 Russian:
Lead Grafinya, Soldats, Rubles
Studio A 7:00-7:30
Dancing Doll & Clara, Harlequins, Drosselmeyer & Head Maid
Studio A 7:30-8:00
Clara & Drosselmeyer Begging
SATURDAY, NOV 11:
Studio B 12:00-12:30
Studio B 1:00-1:30
Clara & Prince Pas de Deux
Studio A 1:30-2:00 All Chinese: Empress, Fortune Cookies, Wontons, Chopsticks
Studio C 2:00-3:00 Flower:
Dew Drop, Poinsettias, Fuchsias, Lilies, Orchids, Rosebud Helpers
Studio C 3:00-3:30
Sugar Plum Fairy
& Candy Rainbow Escorts
(& costume fitting)
Studio A 3:00-3:30
Snowflakes: AD Cast & Helpers
Studio A 3:30-4:00
Mice AD Cast / Soldiers / General / Lead Mice / Mouse Queen
Studio A 4:00-4:30
Mice BC Cast / Soldiers / General / Lead Mice / Mouse Queen
Studio A 4:30-5:00
Snowflakes: BC Cast & Helpers
MISSING A REHEARSAL?
If for some reason a dancer
is to miss rehearsal
which was not previously excused, please contact the choreographer with as much notice as possible.